Tuesday 10 June 2008

Waste Neutral - reduce reuse, recycle

The inspirational Eden Project remains one of the most popular visitor attractions in Cornwall, our Tredarrup visitors included. And with reading so very much at the moment about recycling, waste and climate change the Eden project are champions of many such things including the Waste Neutral scheme. And so some towns in Cornwall are following the example of others and are now plastic bag free - some of the small steps to make a difference.
Apparently we create a staggering 500,000 tonnes of waste every year in Cornwall - a population of aprx 500,000 but with aprx 5.5million visitors a year. And with everyone feeling the pinch as food prices, along with a lot else, continue to rise, frightening that in the UK the amount of food thrown away is at a cost to our pocket of £8billion a year !!!

1 comment:

Michael House said...

I thought I prided myself on throwing little food away, but it is frightening when I actually analyse it what I do have to throw away. Sometimes, milk gets poured down the drain, which I particularly hate to do. I must make scones!!! It is all about being organised, but running a guest house makes it impossible to risk using anything a bit iffy or past it's use by date! Vanessa x