Tuesday 10 July 2007

Know your onions - potato blight

After being behind in our vegetable plot the weather has pushed us back even further. The one thing loving the weather (apart from the slugs) are our onions - sure to be rather on the large side this year from the lashings of rain.... The strawberries have been good (what's left to be turned into strawberry curd) but now they are getting waterlogged or slugged ! A young visitor, Jess, helped me put my tomato plants in the ground, which are growing but not very fast as they've had the rain but not enough sun, others in pots got waterlogged and went mouldy and my potatoes have now got blight which I'm trying to stop spreading to the tomatoes but it has ultimately affected the potato crop...and I can't plant out my winter crops for fear of them being slugged to nothing..
But it seems I'm not alone, in our Riverford box newsletter this week they to are fighting the weather and have potato blight and are behind with their winter planting. I hear on the news it will affect this years UK potato supply especially for organic growers. Potatoes are a hungry fertiliser crop and one that absorbs all that's added therefore making the organic option far more appealing...but obviously by choosing the organic route we succumb to more damage from disease and slugs !!
Roll on sunshine, I'm sure it's coming !!!

No comments: