Wednesday 11 July 2007

Village fete time of year..

It's that time of year when the countryside has weekend after weekend of 'the village fete'.
We had ours this Saturday at Michaelstow and my job this year was serving the teas - great as it's inside (in case it does rain and it does !) and you get first view of the mountains of great homemade food. Our table was brimming with homemade pasties, flans, apple pies, cakes, scones, all enticing beyond your dreams...and in aid of a good cause - our beautiful local church. One year a guest in our cottages braved the rain to attend but asked 'who all the food was for?' Well all that attend and it's well worth a visit - we love our food in Cornwall!
So after filling my own plate and pouring a cup of tea (great value at £2) I began 3hrs of tea pouring and making sure peoples plates were full enough - and at the end just the odd slice of cake left !
I never underestimate how much work the local ladies have put in to all the baking at any of these local events, put I really did when last night I embarked on my own pastie making and after 4hrs and 20plus pasties I was in need of a sit down.
You see I believe that Cornwall is a great food county both for the produce it has to offer and the home cooking skills, and if ever you were in doubt just visit a cornish household for dinner or indeed a village fete and you (and your tummy!) will be in no doubt whatsoever.....

1 comment:

Michael House said...

Another coincidence - we came to your fete and loved it, very impressive teas, loved the garden, friendly atmosphere! I'll be doing the teas at our fete in Treknow in August. Doubt they'll be as good. Bought a lovely additional aeonium (?spelling). Hope you made lots of money! Also loved the pointy hand directions along the main road. Far more professional than lots of fete signs. Vanessa